Paradigm shift
Case in point 1: Was inside this particular bus service, on the way to my Marsiling home, when I started to notice a particular trend. Passengers waiting at the bus-stops didn't bother to flag down when the bus came for them! It's like they expected the bus to stop, even though there weren't any passengers alighting. And this happened not only at one stop, but about half of my journey, as well as on the way back! I really pitied the bus drivers on these occasions. At almost every other bus-stop, they have to decide whether the passengers wanting to board the bus, or just waiting for other bus services. Stopping for non-boarding passengers may just be a waste of time. Failure to stop, on the other hand, may result in complaints. Such is the irony. But the main point is how those passengers expect the drivers to stop the bus at the stop, without even flagging for it!
Case in point 2: Jaywalking is common everywhere in this country. Some do it for 'convenient' sake, while others can't be bothered to wait for the green man to light up. Lately, however, I've noticed that certain people belonging to the latter category, don't even bother to walked briskly even if there are oncoming traffic! They choose to cross at their own pace, as though the roads belong to them! I guess that attitude stems from the knowledge that whatever happens, the law will side more towards the pedestrians, rather than the motorists. This, hence, give them the belief that the motorists wouldn't dare to knock them down or what. Being a driver myself, I know how frustrating the motorist may feel! And being at the end of a near-miss knock-down by a motorist who beat the red-light, I have since tried, as far as I could, to cross safely and to lookout for traffic even if I already have the right of way. I have also tried to walk as briskly as possible at pedestrian crossings so that motorists could make their right-turns. For those bo-chap passengers, all I could do is just pray that you wouldn't be involve in any accidents in the future.
Having witness these 2 events, the question beckons - What is happening to our society? Have we started to take every single thing for granted? Is there a paradigm shift? Although it certainly is starting to look in that direction, I definitely hope the cases that I saw belong to the unfortunate minority. And if I'm wrong, I really worry for this world....
"When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.”-G.K. Chesterton
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home